Sunday, March 31, 2013

CREATE- What's Up Sunday

What a wonderful Easter Sunday we had! As per tradition, we had waffles for breakfast (any time Kyle is home with us- which tends to be weekends- we have either pancakes or waffles), then the craziness started. LOL. I dived into making my homemade dinner rolls, the girls and I made pretty bracelets that the Easter bunny left for them, we picked at a small lunch, and had a giant supper filled with home made chicken cordon bleu, stuffing, mashed potatoes and coleslaw. THEN we splurged even further on a cake I made. Oi. I'm.So.Full. Pictures can be found on the FB page!

I've been trying to gather my thoughts most of the afternoon for this blog post. I'm still not sure I've got it together. There's a lot of things that I've got on my mind, and I think its all going to come out as one incoherent mess. I guess I'll just have to blunder ahead and see what happens.

I've been planning for some time now, an eventual layout about the penny being taken out of circulation, and the eventual dismissal of the nickel, as well. I've been waiting for an opportunity to snap a picture of the posters you'll see around in stores- IGA, Sobey's, the Dollar Store, etc. about the way cash purchases will be made, now that the penny is no longer. I finally had the opportunity yesterday when I brought the kids to the store for finger paints. I'm sure the cashier has never had a more strange request- and I'm so glad that I actually remembered to ask about taking a picture of the notice at her till- but I got it. Why is it so important to me to get a picture of something so inconsequential? Well, I'm flabbergasted and incredulous that the penny's been taken out of circulation. Is anyone else? And, I can't help but think to myself that in another 5 or 6 years, the girls are going to ask me what pennies are. They're going to ask because they won't know. They'll grow up in a penniless world. What an amazing opportunity to scrap about something they're eventually going to learn in Social in high school. I posted a Point to Ponder today on the FB page, and that's one of the things I was thinking of when I made that post.

The other inspiring topic to me is scrapbooking Ralph Klein's passing and the legacy he left behind in our beautiful province. He was hated by many and loved by equally as many; no one can argue he did tremendous things in our province- whether they agree with his strategy or not. The GST, his brainchild, took this province from a major deficit into the black, making it a very wealthy province. (Of course, among other factors that contributed to that, as well). Once again, its going to be something that the girls will only hear about in Social; it'll have no value or impact on their lives whatsoever. True, this happened in a completely different lifetime than theirs. I just hope that they come to understand that in the grand scheme of things, these changes weren't really all that long ago. It was something that eventually affected their mama's and daddy's lives, though at the time, we were little monsters ourselves.

Is any of this making sense, or am I just rambling? That's the way I feel...

I've had some feedback from some friends about having an eventual weekend crop away, and I'm ecstatic that there's some interest in it. I know that some of you have babies and are going to find it hard to commit to a weekend like this for a while. Its still sometimes hard to get away when your babies are toddlers! That's why I want to pose a small adjustment to this plan. I hadn't wanted to mention anything just yet, because I wasn't sure what sort of response I'd get, but I feel confident now that there will probably be interest further down the road, too. I've been thinking about planning a couple weekend crops per year; maybe early in the year, after Christmas and New Years is out of the way, and then again later on in the year, after Thanksgiving and before Christmas makes everyone nutso with all their planning and cooking. Having said that, I think I may plan an impromptu crop for sometime in the near future- either we'll do it here at my house, or if there's enough interest and enough people are able to attend, (and if its easier for people) I'll plan something for in the city, so those that have babies can still make it home at the end of the day. On the other hand, those mama's will have the freedom to decide when, during the day, they want to come out. Bring your littles with you. How does that sound? Feedback. Please!!

April is going to be a busy month for us, so it won't happen this month. Possibly sometime in May or June, I think will be best.

Are you curious to know what the secret tip is about sketches that I alluded to yesterday on the FB page ? I can finally share with you! I love this, because it helps break down, into steps, how to tackle creating a layout using a sketch that you find inspiring. Ready??

On page 80, in the most current (spring 2013) issue of Canadian Scrapbooker, is a 6 step method designed to help you figure out how to tackle that awesome sketch you want to scrap lift. It uses the letters of the word CREATE to guide your steps.

C- Choose your photos

Every person scrapbooks differently; some like to print out a bunch of photos using an online method of printing, such as Walmart, Snapfish, Costco, Apple, etc. Others (like me) prefer to print them at home. I personally like printing my photos because first, all my pictures are saved chronologically already on my computer (I have a Mac), so I don't need to worry about printing out a hundred at a time and finding a storage method to keep my photos. The older photos I have, pre-Mac, are saved in a Creative Memories accordion folder, which I'll one day get back to. Bah hah. Secondly, I like not having to wait for my pictures to either be mailed to me, or make a trip down to the store to pick them up. I can print them at will- also, I'll have already decided, as I'm looking through my pictures while I'm planning this layout, which ones I want to use and edit, and which ones I don't. It makes the process a little quicker, and there won't be as much planning ahead.

Another method I use to help keep my facts straight, and help me keep track of which pictures I want to scrapbook, and which are could be, but not necessary, is keeping a journal and jotting down what each picture that I want to scrap is about. I started doing this when I began Project 365 last year. Sometimes what I've written down is really vague, and I don't quite remember what it was I was getting at, so things change slightly, but that's ok.

You'll develop a method that works the best for you.

R- Review the Sketch

Look carefully at the sketch you're about to copy and ask yourself some basic questions before you plunge into creation mode. First, how many pictures are in the sketch? How many different patterned papers? Embellishments? There's a few things I've noticed myself asking when I look at a sketch: first, (like the step has just recommended) asking myself how many pictures are included in the sketch. If I have more pictures that I want to scrapbook than what's shown in the sketch, I try to find ways to make more space for those photos. Sometimes, its printing the photos smaller than what the sketch calls for; other times, its replacing some of the embellishments with a photo. Don't feel restricted to exactly what the sketch looks like. The sketch is only meant to be your starting line; its meant to be inspiration for you. You have the freedom to interpret it any which way you like. Always remember, there's no right or wrong way to scrapbook! Secondly, I ask myself if I really need the amount of embellishments that are shown in the sketch (or if there's a lack thereof, how many and where should they go?) If it feels too busy for me, but I still like the overall sketch, I put as many as suits my style. If there's none showing in the sketch, I still do the same thing.

You'll find that most of my layouts are based on a sketch I've seen or a layout I've admired. They are rarely exact replicas. Also, if you like a sketch so much, you decide to create another layout based on that sketch, you'll find that one will come out completely different from the other one you created using it. That's the beauty of using sketches.

E- Evaluate your color palette and paper choices

Just lately, I've gotten into this desire to create my layouts using color palettes I've found on Pinterest. Up until this point, I've been pulling colors from the pictures I'm scrapbooking to inspire my color palette. Sometimes, the pictures dictate best what colors are best. Whatever you find easiest, stick with. That means, I try and find card stock and patterned paper that are the same shades and tones, and I try to pair papers that coordinate and compliment each other. Sometimes that can be kind of hard, if you're using product from a bunch of different companies (which is something I do frequently). To simplify, try using papers and embellishments that come from the same manufacturer; more often than not, most of their lines will coordinate with one another, so you won't need to worry too much about matching.

A- Add embellishments

As I mentioned above, nothing is set in stone. Your copy of the sketch doesn't need to be an exact replica. So, when you're thinking about what embellishments you want to use, don't limit yourself to using flourishes or circles or diamonds because that's what you see in the sketch. Think about the theme of your layout, and try and embellish accordingly. Is your layout about halloween, like the one I just recently completed? Then, use skeletons, grave stones, haunted houses, cotton, the options are limitless.  If you don't have embellishments that fit that particular theme (like I did for halloween), then try to think creatively and outside the box. What can you do instead?

T- Try a Technique

There are so many different techniques out there to try, its hard to keep up with them all. Some you'll find really interesting, and you'll itch to try it out, and others just won't tickle your fancy at all. But, don't be afraid to try them. You might find you really like them! What are some of those techniques? Try acrylic paint, stencils, making your own flowers, crocheting directly onto your layout, stamping, distressing, aging, the list goes on. The texture and dimension it adds to your project will add yet another level of pride and interest.

E- Enjoy your layout, and SHARE!!! 

Don't ever feel like your layout isn't as good as someone elses'. We are all unique, we are all creative, and we all create in different ways. Our stories are different from everyone elses'. What's most important are the memories you've created, and the heritage you're creating for your children and their children. Be proud of who you are! Like I've mentioned before, the feedback you receive on the work you've created is addicting! Its part of the reason I've joined a forum at scrapbook.com. Its built up my confidence, believe it or not. So has creating using sketches. Sketches takes the guesswork out of where to put things and where to start. I find it an incredibly handy tool.

(I took the liberty of elaborating on the CREATE method using my own words; to find out how Kelly, the author of this article explained it, head to page 80 of the Spring 2013 issue of CS)

I know I had more news to share with you today, but since this post has wound up being quite the deep novel, I'm going to sign off for now, regroup, and share what I've forgotten or left out tomorrow.

I'm going to unwind now with some scrappy therapy! Enjoy your evening, friends, and thanks for dropping in! You mean the world to me!

OH- one last note- I find it incredibly interesting that both Mojo Monday and our new sketch challenge have fallen on the same day! How funky is that?! So, tomorrow, you'll find the card sketch I've made for our month long challenge, and the card I created using it posted to the timeline on FB.

Rules for our challenge:

Its pretty laid back. You can create whatever you want using this sketch. It can be a layout, smash book, journal page, card- whatever strikes your fancy. You have all month long to complete it. If more time allows, you may create and submit more than one project. At the end of the month, we'll vote for our most favorite project using that sketch, and the winner will be inducted into the Everyday Scrapbooker Hall of Fame. Easy Peasy! I hope you're able to play along!

No comments:

Post a Comment